Saturday, February 15, 2014

Mission Station

I've painted plein air pieces in South Pasadena, where I live, quite a few times now.  My first painting was posted in Plein Air Painting.  Another, painted in the same block was Century House.  This paint-out was in the area of our light rail Gold Line station, Mission Station.  When the light rail project was being planned, the City of South Pasadena wanted public art integrated into the station and related to the community.  The long Metro Art process resulted in a large and wonderful metal walking man sculpture by Michael Stutz, titled Astride-Aside, which really sets our Mission Station apart.  It's over 12 feet high! 

We Saturday painters met in the Gold Line station area again a few weeks ago.  I enjoyed painting this view across the street from the walking man with the winter trees, clock, and utility poles.  I've wanted to add a figure or two but can't quite decide where and what size.  So, maybe I'll leave it alone.  I might try the walking man sculpture next time.
         

8 x 10" watercolor



    

6 comments:

  1. Love this, Sherry, especially the palette and subtle detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great one, Sherry, and it works fine without a figure. You keep getting better and better. Painting that walking man sculpture would be a real challenge, I would imagine, but I think you're up to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry! A challenge for sure to try the sculpture, but maybe!

      Delete
  3. The warm colors make this just sing! The composition is spot on, too!

    ReplyDelete