Saturday, February 22, 2014

Defenders Parkway

A recent Saturday paint-out was at Defenders Parkway.  Well, I didn't know the official name until I walked around and looked at the various monuments recognizing the founders of Pasadena, and "Defenders of the Flag Soldiers".  It's a small grassy area and walkway at the east end of the Colorado Street Bridge which a visitor can walk out on from the park.  

It was another beautiful Saturday for plein air painting.  I couldn't decide whether to paint the bridge view to the west, or the city view to the east which included distant hills and the city hall.  I chose the city view since I didn't feel up to the wonderful structure of the bridge with its arches, light standards, and railings.  The small parkway was a very popular spot for dog walkers so I added one to my watercolor.  It was such an enjoyable morning just a few feet from a very busy intersection. 

10" x 8" Watercolor

Colorado and Orange Grove Boulevards

Colorado Street Bridge 1913

6 comments:

  1. Love the colours you have used for this great plien air painting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, Sherry. Seriously, you should consider an exhibit highlighting LA and Pasadena. You have such a beautiful collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry! You're right about the collection of local views I've got now.

      Delete
  3. Another really nice painting, Sherry - your tree is outstanding - a weak spot for me that I'd like to improve on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joani! You know I was tempted to overdo the tree branches.

      Delete