Monday, February 17, 2014

The Gamble House Lantern

In summer 2012, I painted a watercolor of the Gamble House in Pasadena, California.  I posted my painting and a bit about the landmark house in The Gamble House.  Designed by Charles and Henry Greene, and built in 1908, it is considered to be America's Arts and Crafts masterpiece.  It is stunning, and every visit there is special.  The house has a certain feeling about it, very calming and elegant.

On my previous paint-out there I found the house to be very difficult to paint in watercolor.  Its many rafters and porches, and stained wood color, make a watercolor challenging.  This time I decided to try a smaller view.  The beautiful stained glass lantern on the back patio caught my eye and I went for the gouache.  The public tours of the house were the only mild distraction while painting this serene scene.  Our group had such a lovely morning there.  

5 x 7" gouache


The lantern on the back patio of the Gamble House


13 comments:

  1. Really nice Sherry, I like how you have created the stone work on the pillar and the brick steps too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorraine, it's such a beautiful building.

      Delete
  2. You picked a lovely view and it made a beautiful painting. Sounds like an interesting place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Polly! It's a very distinctive home for sure.

      Delete
  3. The house looks like a real treasure, and to be able to paint there and be inspired - aaah! Lovely painting you did, Sherry, and I like how you honed in on the lantern, with all the greenery around it. Amazing to see the difference and growth in your work since your first piece there. (all that greenery is really cheering me up from the arctic hinterlands here).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry! You were close when you were in Pasadena. We haven't even had "winter" here this year.

      Delete
  4. Excellent - love your paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice. I love the color and texture in this one. The composition too. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A gorgeous serene scene, beautifully painted. Interesting textures.

    ReplyDelete