Monday, October 8, 2012

Century House

The Thursday plein air painting group met in the "old town" section of South Pasadena last week.  This is the city where I live.  I painted here in May and wrote about it in my second post titled Plein Air Painting.  For many years I've seen artists painting around town since there are some good views to paint here.  But I didn't know what groups they were.  I didn't know about any paint-outs.  I was out of the loop!  So, finally, what a thrill it is to actually be one of the plein air painters!

I spent too long trying to decide what to paint and ended up choosing the building which is next to the one I painted in May.  It's officially named The Century House, built in 1888 and moved to its present location to save it from destruction.  It is also known as Halloween House since two of the "Halloween" horror movies were shot there.

Here is my painting, my photo of the view, and a shot of some of my painting friends at work.  It was wonderful to join the group for painting.  I've wanted to for so long.





    

6 comments:

  1. Love what you have done to the scene Sherry... I know exactly what you mean about spending too long deciding what to paint, I have exactly the same problem and I wouldn't have chosen your view but just shows how you can make something out of what isn't necessarily an attractive view... all the lines and railings look very distracting on the photo and I don't think I would have seen beyond that as you have... really good exercise!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith! I had another view in mind but there was a shade problem. I'd really rather not bother with taking an umbrella and just go with what I find. Ha - you're right about what really is a metro train crossing certainly isn't now in my painting!

      Delete
  2. The only group I'm in is the group of wonderful fellow blogger artists and I have to say that creating wouldn't have been the same for me if it wasn't for this group...
    The painting is absolutely beautiful Sherry!! As always I love your interpretation of reality :)
    Warm regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you as always Konstantina! The blogger artists are so inspiring!

      Delete
  3. Hello Sherry:) I totaly agree with Judith. Your painting is so much more interesting than the photo. You worked it out very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renate. I think I mostly didn't want to try to paint all those railroad crossing things. :-)

      Delete