Thursday, August 1, 2013

Virtual Paintout - Charleston!

Yes, a whole year of participating in the Virtual Paintout!  I've had a lot of fun virtually looking around cities all over the world.  Bill Guffey created the Virtual Paintout and selects the month's location.  Artists use Google Street View to find their view to draw or paint.  We submit the artwork to Bill and he posts everyone's work on Facebook and on his blog.  

For July 2013, the paintout location was Charleston, South Carolina.  I've never been to Charleston and it was a very beautiful city to look around.  Many striking tree-lined streets and old buildings.  The very first spot I looked at was something wonderful to paint.  I did a small watercolor of that location on George Street.  There is a pretty harbor I was considering, but for a second piece I chose the gazebo in White Point Gardens.  It's a 5x7" gouache.  Such an exciting project.  I'm looking forward to more virtual paintouts.

5" x 7" Watercolor

5" x 7" Gouache


10 comments:

  1. Wow, can't believe you've been doing the paintout for a whole year now! The places you've been...

    The watercolor is soft and easy on the eye; the gouache has a great brilliance to it. Both great and both convey sunny days and how it feels to be in the shade. Great work, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry! I really appreciate your visits.

      Delete
  2. You certainly have used your virtual passport Sherry and your participation has produced such a great collection of world scenes for us all to enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the gazebo painting. It is kind of a tricky composition, but I think it makes the place very present - as if you aren't just looking at it, but you're actually heading right to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara! I see what you mean...must be the low angle.

      Delete
  4. Love the second one in particular. The colour, the light!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really gorgeous--you have a way with greens and trees. I'm envious on both counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! I've been working on the trees, trying to not make them too busy as I was for awhile.

      Delete