Friday, August 9, 2013

Playhouse Festivities

I can hardly believe it but almost exactly a year ago I posted the watercolor I painted at the San Gabriel Mission Playhouse in Mission Playhouse.  Since then I've painted there on two other days and I'll share those paintings.  The Playhouse is just a block from the historic San Gabriel Mission, 1771.   

In April the Saturday plein air group met at the Playhouse.  There were some festivities going on including a small crafts fair.  Very pretty tables were set up and there were lanterns hung in the tree.  That's the view I chose to try in watercolor.  

The next time I was there to paint was with the Friday plein air group.  The show we had in July of our artwork was at the gallery adjacent to the Playhouse.  We thought some artists in action, doing some painting might get the attention of people in the area.  It was a very overcast day so I chose to try a gouache piece since my watercolor washes would have a hard time drying.  It actually drizzled on me as I painted the fountain and I had to move twice.  Most of the group painted a still life set-up in a covered arcade area near the gallery entrance.  My photo of them is below and I wish I had time to try painting the still life as well as the fountain.  Such a lovely location.

10" x 8" Watercolor

8 x 10"


5 x 7" Gouache






6 comments:

  1. Looks great fun and lucky you to have a group you can paint outdoors with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Polly! You're so right that I'm lucky to have groups to paint with. I wouldn't go by myself to these wonderful locations.

      Delete
  2. As always Sherry I get to tour your part of the world in a colorful exciting way through your paintings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine! I love telling people I have a friend in South Australia!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful interpretations, Sherry. Those lanterns provide the perfect highlight in the watercolor. I admire your fortitude to produce such a fine gouache despite having to move your location in the rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry! I always appreciate your visits and comments. The tree is pretty boring without the lanterns for sure.

      Delete