Monday, August 26, 2013

Disney Concert Hall


In downtown Los Angeles we are lucky to have the Frank Gehry designed Walt Disney Concert Hall.  It opened in 2003 and is home to the Los Angeles Philharmonic.  Since it's a Gehry design, the building is really striking with its curved, stainless steel exterior.  

I've never been inside for a concert but have walked by many times.  I was a little surprised when the location for a Thursday paint-out was to be the Disney Hall!  Our organizer recommended that "abstract" be our theme for this building.  Well, since the building is already "abstract" as buildings go, it was a pretty easy task.  But, I was ready with some different materials to try something non-representational.  I did two small gouache pieces, the first more abstract.  People who stopped by to see what our artwork looked like, expecting to see the neat building, couldn't really find anything to say about our "abstracts".  At our casual critique, fellow painters seemed to like my less abstract piece best, mostly because of the yellow fire hydrant.  The day was very dreary but so much fun to be in busy downtown with the group. 

5 x 7" gouache

5 x 7" gouache


An evening shot with the sun going down.

A wedding shoot while we artists were there.

    

9 comments:

  1. I would be hard pressed to say which one I like best. Both are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janell! Thanks so much, they were both fun to paint.

      Delete
  2. Not sure about the building, prefer your paintings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Polly! That's awfully nice! The building is really spectacular in person.

      Delete
  3. An interesting subject, Sherry. I like how the "abstract" is already included for you. Well done. I think I'm with the less abstract camp, although it still looks abstract to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry. It was a fun thing to try. Some artists did colorful squares, quite a variety of pieces.

      Delete
  4. Two visually attention grabbers to me Sherry, I love the abstract feel, I did not see them as buildings until I scrolled down to the photos. I would love to do abstract and how great to have a subject pose for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine! Love your comment about the subject posing for me!

      Delete
  5. Such points of interest. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete