Monday, August 5, 2013

Vina Vieja Park

I hadn't been to Vina Vieja Park in Pasadena before the Thursday's En Plein Air group met there.  We had some "June Gloom" haziness in the morning.  The San Gabriel Mountains are very close when you're at the park but their tops were covered in haze.  The park is located under many transmission towers and power lines.  There are two dog parks adjacent, one for big dogs and one for shy or small dogs.     

I chose a view in the direction of the hazy mountains, across a vacant lot that had some nice warm light on the golden weeds.  Some transmission towers and utility poles added some interest.  I did a watercolor and while my washes were drying I painted a smaller gouache.  For some reason I like the way these both turned out even though the subject matter is "different".  I wish I could have gotten some photos of the dog park dogs but it was so big that they just dashed away.  The sun eventually came out and our large group that day had a nice chat about the artwork.      

8" x 10" Watercolor

7" x 5" Gouache



Lynne Fearman leading the critique

6 comments:

  1. love your hazy mountains in the wc Sherry, it certainly was a large group I was quite suprised by the number in the photo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine! This group can get 30 painters which still surprises me. The group has been doing paint-outs since 1991.

      Delete
  2. I love your two different interpretations of the subject, Sherry. And how wonderful to be able to work on one painting while the other dries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry! When I started squeezing in 2 paintings it was to try out gouache. The two are confusing sometimes though, being opposite in transparency. Having fun at it.

      Delete
  3. This is interesting, the two different paintings. And what a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Polly! Sometimes two paintings work out if I have enough time.

      Delete