Saturday, August 11, 2012

White!

The Saturday plein air group met this morning at the First Church of Christian Science in Pasadena.  The church was completed in 1909 and is spectacular with a central copper dome topped with a white crown.  It is located on a beautiful tree-lined street with neat vintage buildings.  I thought I might end up painting a street scene but there was construction going on there.  We all ended up painting the south facade of the church.  I noticed a few white crepe myrtle trees and remembered some fun and splattery trees Alvaro Castagnet painted in the workshop I took.  Why not try the white church with the white crepe myrtle trees!  I'm also including a photo of my view (from under the tree!) in the opposite direction which I was tempted to paint.  I really like painting palm trees.

8 x 10" watercolor




Maybe I'll try painting this view sometime.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful Painting! What type of paper did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful I tried plein air painting some buildings last week and it didn't turn out like I wanted it to but will carry on trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! Do they ever turn out as we want them to! We have fun trying. :-)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful, Sherry. Your trees are great, and the warm wall next to the cool building. There's very little white and yet it reads "white" so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, I always love your observations! I wasn't sure if it was remaining as white as I had in mind.

      Delete