Friday, August 3, 2012

Eaton Canyon

Our Thursday plein air group had the option of going to Exposition Park near the Coliseum where events for the 1932 and 1984 Olympics were held here in Los Angeles.  Or, we could try Eaton Canyon in Pasadena, a nature preserve next to the mountains with hiking trails.  I want to paint at Exposition Park where there is an extensive rose garden, but for today I chose Eaton Canyon.  Last time we painted there I wasn't happy with my result.  After I finished I noticed some chickens, and wanted to check out the area again.  The chickens are still there, photo below, but I didn't paint them today.  I heard they are there for West Nile virus monitoring.  I chose a view of the transmission towers.  They seem to be in most views there and I like what they add to a painting.  I'm pretty happy with the way this piece went.  


This was my view.  I don't know what the red bushes are which are going to seed but they were very colorful.




4 comments:

  1. I enjoy the jewel toned color here...makes me want to take out my wc again! Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry I wish I had your vision. Making sense and condensing what I see when I go plein air is something I struggle with. You seem to have mastered it wonderfully. These pylons look so interesting considering they are just pylons... Lovely work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. The plein air painting is improving with all the practice I'm getting! Lucky I have better weather for it here.

      Delete