Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Roofers

I noticed Joseph Zbukvic's newest DVD is titled People at Work in which he paints a lot of figures.  One of the examples from the trailer is his demo of some men working on road construction.  Their orange and yellow vests reminded me of a gouache piece I painted of workers wearing the same vests which I hadn't posted.

A location for one of the paint-out groups in August was at the Los Angeles County Arboretum.  It's such a lovely place for plein air artists that I've done four previous blog posts of pieces painted there.  It was a very warm day so I didn't venture far from the entrance area and the cafe where we meet to look at each other's work.  As soon as I started walking in search of a view to paint I noticed some men working on re-roofing the gift shop building.  From one of the walkways, I had a great view and they were so colorful that I had to try a painting.  I used gouache because of their bright vests which really caught my eye.  I really enjoy these not-so-romantic subjects.

5 7" gouache


We always have peacocks checking out the art.

6 comments:

  1. Sherry - very nice. Those workers add so much to the over all landscape. Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, Sherry. Everyday subjects and compositions are the very best, IMO. You really captured a moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry! We think alike on those everyday subjects.

      Delete
  3. Great idea to paint normal working life. and Great painting too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Polly, Thanks! This one was fun to paint.

      Delete