Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Vista Hermosa Park

The plein air paint-out location on a recent Saturday was another park I had not seen before.  I'm learning about so many new and picturesque spots because of painting outdoors.  We met at Vista Hermosa Park which is at the outskirts of downtown Los Angeles.  

The weather report mentioned showers and the streets were wet in the morning.  The big gray clouds were moving though quickly and things were looking up for painting.  I thought if it was too misty for watercolor painting at least I could take some photos.  Of course Vista Hermosa means Beautiful View in Spanish.  In order to have the beautiful view, the park is very hilly.  The trails were pretty muddy but we had to see the view from the upper lawns.  I found really wonderful views of downtown, a serene pond reflecting clouds, and it wasn't too damp to paint.  I enjoyed painting this piece and tried to just indicate the buildings through the clouds as they came and went.  The park was quiet that morning and the next showers held off until we were finished. 



  


8 comments:

  1. Nice effect Sherry for the distant buildings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorraine! This one went better than I thought it would.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Judith! I thought it was going to be too rainy to paint!

      Delete
  3. How nice that you can discover so much beauty all around in your town. This one is nice - love the effects of the moving, low-lying clouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry! So hard to capture these effects we have in mind!

      Delete
  4. Oh how I love those far away buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela! Thank you! It was a temptation to paint in too many windows...

      Delete