Sunday, February 17, 2013

Paint-out at the Museum

The Saturday group of plein air painters recently met at the Autry Museum in Los Angeles.  The museum is located in Griffith Park, next to a golf course and across from the zoo.  A busy place on Saturday morning.  At the museum it was the opening day of a new art show, Masters of the American West.  An adult fitness "boot camp" had their activities set up on the big lawn.  There is also a farmer's market on Saturday mornings.  I wanted to check out the farmer's market since I hadn't seen it.  

The market had a nice selection of produce and also some live music.  One seller's veggies, in my photo below, were really beautiful.  I don't think of painting carrots and radishes too often but I'd like to try it sometime.  There were also quite a few sellers of pre-made foods, and also many foods to buy there to eat at nearby tables.  Since the museum building didn't appeal to me for a watercolor, I decided to try painting a bit of the farmer's market.  I sat on an out-of-the-way curb to paint some colorful umbrellas and the pretty aguas frescas containers, a popular street food combination of fruit blended with water and sugar.  Our group had some crepes for lunch after painting and I bought some hot sauce.  A nice way to spend the morning!        

8x10" watercolor




10 comments:

  1. You are lucky to be able to plein air all year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Polly, yes, I'm always thinking that as well. We've had some cold and/or rained out paint-outs but the weather usually cooperates.

      Delete
  2. I love the way you included your photo as well. You did a great job of capturing the bright colors and it made me feel like I was right there with you guys. Beautiful day for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny, thanks for visiting and commenting! I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. Very colorful and bright, Sherry. I remember trying to paint a market scene with umbrellas - I just couldn't get it right UNDER the umbrellas, for some reason. I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry, umbrellas just seem to be a little difficult. This was a different type of scene for me to try.

      Delete
  4. A colourful scene captured really nicely Sherry, love the pigeons too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorraine! I always appreciate your comments.

      Delete