Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Virtual Paintout - The Isle of Man!

I'm enjoying participating in the monthly Virtual Paintout, it's just for fun.  I'm late posting my two pieces again which I painted for the January 2013 location.  It was The Isle of Man, another place I probably will never see in person.  Bill Guffey created The Virtual Paintout and chooses each month's location.  Artists use Google Street View to "drive" and "walk" around the month's location looking for their painting subject.  The URL from the view we chose to paint is submitted to Bill with our artwork.  Bill posts all of the submissions on his blog and on Facebook along with the artist's blog or website links.  It's really interesting to see what people found to paint, and all of the different styles of drawing and painting.  

For my visit to the Isle of Man I chose a colorful harbor scene which I painted in transparent watercolor.  I also like to try gouache for this fun project and chose a really bright and colorful street scene.  The buildings and flowering trees were so bright that they really caught my eye.  I thought such bright colors would be difficult to accomplish with transparent watercolor.  These are both 5x7".

5" x 7" watercolor

5" x 7" gouache

    


6 comments:

  1. I like the difference between the two lovely paintings of the Isle of Man. Looks like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Polly! Thanks for visiting and commenting! These two were definitely fun.

      Delete
  2. Lovely pieces both of them Sherry but I think your boat scene is particularly good, you are having really interesting results with your gouache too and they are so vibrant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine! The scene I painted in gouache was definitely a little too vibrant but when I saw it I had to try it.

      Delete
  3. Two really nice and unique scenes, Sherry. In the first, I love the flag banner that you included; seems to tie everything together. Your colors in both are mesmerizing - seems to be a departure for you, and I'm liking it very much! Both paintings feel alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry. When I ran across the flag banner I had to paint the view. I enjoy trying new things with the VP challenge.

      Delete