Sunday, May 14, 2017

Provence?

One of the plein air painting groups returned to the Mater Dolorosa Monastery in Sierra Madre last month for the paint-out.  It was summer when we were there last and I painted this gouache piece, Local Monastery

The hillside monastery is on many acres but on this visit we all painted views nearby the parking lot, having a short time to paint.  Several of us noticed a lovely valley view to the south, the tile-roofed building, and bright flowers.  My fellow painters chose to leave out the utility poles and agreed the scene looked similar to what we might see in Provence.  Of course I like including power poles and lines so I guess my painting looks more like Sierra Madre!


5" x 7" Gouache 


The view west from my painting spot
   
The olive grove

No comments:

Post a Comment