Sunday, March 27, 2016

Virtual Paintout - NSW!

Each month I enjoy participating in The Virtual Paintout.  Artists find their virtual view to paint using Google Street View.  The location for March 2016 was New South Wales.  I was excited to look around that part of Australia and I wasn't disappointed.  It looks very beautiful, and now at the top of the list of places I would like to visit.

I like to use the smaller pieces I paint for the Virtual Paintout as practice.  I recently read an article by a watercolorist I admire who coincidentaly lives in Melbourne, Australia for part of the year.   He puts in his dark values at the beginning of his paintings which isn't the usual way to work in watercolor.  So, I gave it a try on these two pieces.  Interesting way to work, and I will give that approach more practice!

5" x 7" Watercolor, Sydney Harbor


5"x 7" Watercolor




8 comments:

  1. Wow, Sherry, this is beautiful - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two lovely scenes, Sherry. I love "travelling" with you. Good luck with your technique. Looks like it's working for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry! Interesting reverse way of working but it went well.

      Delete
  3. Beutyful paintings. Smart painting lightgreen in the middle on the last painting. Looks real lovely.
    I did read sometime back about artists painting the shadows first. An underlayer of blue. I guess it only works with transparent watercolour and not opac. I use transparent watercolour but I don´t use that techniqe as I find it more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catharina! Thank you...fun to try another approach.

      Delete
  4. Sherry,

    do you put in your sky first? is that how most watercolorists do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do put in the sky first and I think most watercolor artists do as well....usually.

      Delete