Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Monastery Fountain

A few weeks ago one of the plein air groups met at Mater Dolorosa Monastery in Sierra Madre.  I was excited to see the 80 acre retreat center since I had heard about it for quite awhile.  The main structure was built in 1931 at the top of the hillside property.  The grounds were beautiful, planted with gardens and an olive tree grove.  It was overcast the morning we were there so I chose to paint a gouache piece of one of the fountains.  Gouache dries a little faster than transparent watercolor.  Finally the sun came out about noon and I could see some shadows.  We're looking forward to another visit in the spring.

5" x 7" Gouache






  

2 comments:

  1. wow, such a beautiful location, and painted so well, Sherry. I just love the fountain, and the water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry, can't wait to see it at another time of year.

      Delete