Saturday, June 7, 2014

Two Bridges

A few Saturdays ago the group painted from a residential street with views of the bridges across the Arroyo Seco in Pasadena.  For our bridges views, we were all situated on a trail that goes down to the Rose Bowl Aquatics Center.  For my watercolor, I looked out to the main two bridges, the famous 1913 Colorado Street Bridge with its pretty light standards, and the Ventura Freeway bridge.  Kind of below me was the smaller Holly Street bridge.  Well, bridges are difficult I think, for me at least, with those arches and shadows.  In my view, the Ventura Freeway bridge is closest to me and the Colorado Street Bridge behind.  I widened the vista a little to include some homes below.  The Saturday paint-outs are always fun, interesting, and sometimes a challenge like this one.

8 x 10" Watercolor

Colorado Street Bridge behind the 134 Freeway bridge

Holly Street Bridge

6 comments:

  1. Your little colour highlights keep me looking around the whole scene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bridge looks pretty good to me, and all the shadows, too. Well done, on indeed a very tough subject!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry...now I'm thinking maybe I should have tried it horizontally.

      Delete
  3. Yes, nice bridge and I love the way you can so successfully invent stuff that isn't there and bring beauty and balance to your work. Well done!

    ReplyDelete