Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Red Poppies!

The paint-out group returned to Arlington Garden this week since it was so beautiful two weeks ago.  I posted my gouache piece from that morning in Arlington Agaves.  Many of us were hoping the red poppies would be blooming more plentifully on our second visit to the garden.  We were lucky, and they were looking so bright and red.  I actually sat under the same pepper tree as I did on my last paint-out there when I painted the agaves.  I just turned a bit to the west for a nice view of the field of wildflowers where the red poppies were blooming.  I couldn't decide whether to paint a gouache piece or a transparent watercolor so I did both.  I haven't tried that for awhile since it's quite a lot of work to finish the two paintings before the group discussion time.  It's also a bit difficult for me to switch back and forth between the two different ways I paint the watercolor and the gouache, but I am getting better at that as I'm getting more used to gouache.  What a fun morning painting among the wildflowers! 

8 x 10" Watercolor

5 x 7" Gouache




6 comments:

  1. Loved seeing your poppy wTercolour in my inbox this morning Sherry, this one is a stand out for me. I have really been admiring your gouache paintings but this time I prefer the watercolour. Lovely poppy photos made me want to get going and do something red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your comments Lorraine! I can see something red from you coming soon!

      Delete
  2. Outstanding times two, Sherry! This place really speaks to you, and you've translated it all so well to we viewers. Both your paintings are alive and vibrant. What an excellent job you did. And I am in awe of your ability to switch back and forth between mediums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry, I appreciate your comments so much. Switching between the two paintings is a little tough on my old brain for sure!

      Delete
  3. Sherry, you did an amazing job with these two paintings, dealing with all that green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joani! It was so pretty there, but you're right about the abundance of Green!

      Delete