Saturday, December 21, 2019

St. Luke's


We've met several times to paint at St. Luke's Hospital in Pasadena.  The hospital was built in 1933 and closed in 2002.  No longer a hospital, it's been a popular location for movie and TV filming, including Kill Bill and LaLa Land.  I hadn't tried painting the building before.  On one visit I painted the apartments on the opposite side of the busy boulevard,  The Yellow Apartments.  On another visit, since I like utility poles, I painted the curve in Washington Blvd in gouache but I didn't finish so I brought the piece back the next time to finish it.  I'm still not sure it's finished but it's included here.  So on our recent visit in October I finally tried painting a watercolor of the main hospital building.  Pretty sunshine that morning.

5" x 7" Watercolor


5" x 7" Gouache


Vintage postcard

2 comments: