Thursday, May 10, 2018

Second Try!

In February I attempted Mary Gilkerson's 20 minute painting challenge.  The goal was to paint a 20-30 minute painting for five consecutive days.  I tried two 7"x5" pieces, Twenty Minutes!  These two paintings were frustrating.  I was using my usual amount of water which resulted in areas not being dry enough to go back to within the allotted time.  When Mary's challenge began again last week I thought I would try it again.  Since I had a hard time with twenty minutes I thought maybe a smaller size paper wouldn't be so discouraging.  Okay, 6"x4"!  I chose some easy-looking landscapes from my Arlington Garden photos.  This worked much better for me and I really tried to control the water.  So these are my first three attempts.  I have two more and will continue with this challenge since I really did learn a lot about shapes and values.  I would think I already know about shapes and values but I was more aware with the Twenty Minute Challenge.

6" x 4" Watercolor

6" x 4" Watercolor

6" x 4" Watercolor

2 comments:

  1. Your work is superior to many on the challenge. I enjoyed seeing these.
    I think you are using the challenge in the correct way. Figuring out that you already know shapes and values and just needed a smaller piece of paper is worth it. Sometimes it is good just to be motivated with a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I always appreciate your comments.

      Delete