Saturday, January 13, 2018

A Busy Evening

I was excited to try painting at night again.  My first attempt was almost two years ago, Night Scene!  The paint-out group returned to the same street in Monrovia last night.  It happens that I was just there a few Saturdays ago and painted a small watercolor of my view across the street, Last 2017 Paint-Out.

My thought for the night painting was to paint it from the same spot as I had painted the morning piece a few weeks ago.  It would be a fun contrast of the same scene at a different time of day.  My daytime painting was a transparent watercolor but for the night scene I decided to use gouache, opaque watercolor.  This main Monrovia street has bright, globe type lamp posts which make a nice point of interest for a night scene.   The street was very busy with people going to the Friday night street fair and farmer's market.  This piece turned out to be a challenge,  as nighttime painting is, but I like how it turned out, and it was fun painting with friends as always.

7" x 5" Gouache




No comments:

Post a Comment