Thursday, December 5, 2013

Holidays Coming

The Saturday paint-out group recently painted in Sierra Madre at the Memorial Park.  There are mountain views, as well as some interesting homes and churches to paint in the neighborhood surrounding the park.  That day we all chose views to paint from the north east corner of the park.  It turned out that it was the Saturday morning for the crew to decorate the sidewalk lampposts with holiday garlands, topped with red bows.  

I chose a home across the street to paint.  There was a pretty tree with some fall colors and I wanted to include one of the holiday lampposts.  Since the morning was cold and a little dreary I decided to use gouache since it dries faster than transparent watercolor.  I still went to the car once to use the heater to dry the first stage of the painting.  I planned to add a figure to the piece but couldn't decide where to put a person walking on the sidewalk.  I had a suggestion to have a person in the doorway of the house.  I went with the idea and added a lady leaving to go shopping for the holidays!        


5 x 7" gouache


6 comments:

  1. Bet the street looks great with all those lampposts decorated Sherry. You have captured the scene in your usual colourful way. I am sure all these little gouaches in one album would be a fantastic travel book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorraine! An album of gouaches sure is a terrific idea. Hmmm....

      Delete
  2. Makes a perfect holiday card, Sherry. Just delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry, I didn't think of a greeting card possibility!

      Delete
  3. This is such a festive painting. those little touches of red really do it! Glad you put the shopper in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wyna! Thank You! I wasn't sure about adding the shopper.

      Delete