Sunday, December 2, 2012

Virtual Paintout - New Brunswick!

With a holiday and weather that's been a little rainy for plein air painting, it's nice to have the Virtual Paintout for doing a few watercolors.  For November 2012 the location was New Brunswick, Canada.  Bill Guffey created the Virtual Paintout and hosts it on his blog and Facebook.  Participating artists use Google Street View to "walk" around Bill's assigned city or country to find their view to paint.  A virtual version of a real paintout.  We submit the URL of our view along with our paintings which Bill posts on his blog.  It's always fun to see what the artists have chosen to paint or draw. 

I didn't spend as long as I usually do looking around New Brunswick on Google.  I wasn't finding much that was exciting to paint.  I'm sure I just hadn't found the right locations yet!  A watercolor I saw recently had some puddles of water which were really beautiful so when I happened upon a view with puddles I chose it to try.  Next weekend the plein air group is painting at a power plant.  When I found some sort of factory with smoke stacks I wanted to practice a little for the real life plein air paintout coming up, weather permitting.  I like to try using gouache for these pieces.  Still practicing with it and I'm enjoying its opaque qualities.  These paintings are 5"x7".


5" x 7" Gouache

5" x 7" Watercolor


  

No comments:

Post a Comment