Monday, December 17, 2012

Ginkgo!

I have found a group of artists who go out plein air painting on Fridays!  Another wonderful group of new friends and another day to paint.  Maybe I'll improve with all this painting.  

We met at Descanso Gardens where I painted once before with the Thursday group and blogged about in my post titled "Descanso Gardens".  Someone said the Ginkgo trees' leaves were changing and were really beautiful.  So true!  The trees were near the entrance and their leaves were a shockingly bright yellow.  They were the main attraction that day and people were taking photos, and some women were gathering the fallen ginkgo nuts.  They are used in Chinese cooking.  The trees are the national tree of China and the official tree of Tokyo.  Of course they have those gorgeous and distinctive fan shaped leaves.       

I chose a view from a little distance away.  Trying to convey the brightness of the ginkgo leaves is a challenge in watercolor so I tried to have some other points of interest in my piece.  






6 comments:

  1. What a year you have had Sherry with all this en plein air painting. If you were not the outdoorsy type before you certainly are now. Your landscapes are lovely and so identifiably you so I think you have certainly honed your style

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites of yours, Sherry. And I think you really captured the brightness of those gingko leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry! I did have fun painting this one. Such a beautiful day.

      Delete
  3. Dear Sherry - found your blog through Helen Trachy - your art is wonderful - I love your landscapes - I too work in watercolors - so glad to meet you. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, I'm happy you meet you! Thanks for stopping by, and such a nice comment. Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete