Tuesday, October 27, 2015

October Challenge!

I was happy that James Gurney offered another challenge this month, tying in with the autumn and Halloween season.  He started it off on his blog Gurney Journey October Graveyard Challenge.  We were to post our entries on the Facebook Event Page.  I participated in the previous challenge, painting an Outdoor Market on Location and posted about that piece in Painting Challenge.  It's part of the challenge to paint at the location using only three colors plus white.  

Barbara our Saturday paint-out group leader wanted to participate in the challenge so she had Mountain View Cemetery in Altadena on the schedule.  It opened in 1882 and we had a beautiful morning to paint there, interesting cemetery views, sun glancing through the beautiful trees.  Since I used gouache for the previous challenge, I wanted to try the limited palette three colors with watercolor this time.  I also had in mind to include some fall foliage.  And I noticed some palm trees which I thought would be a good Southern California element.  I chose Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna, and Cadmium Yellow Pale for my three colors.  I used some egg tempera white with some of my mixes.  It's been really fun to see the entries from all over the world on the Facebook page.  The stories are great reading too.
          

8" x 10" Watercolor


We were to include a photo of painting on-site 

A photo of "trick perspective" that I didn't notice when I shot it.
There is a TINY Barbara on top of the center marker.


        

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Joani. It was more fun than I thought it would be.

      Delete
  2. What an interesting choice Sherry. I like to walk through old cemetries taking in some history and imagining what a persons life may have held

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting places for sure. And usually very peaceful.

      Delete
  3. A perfect entry, Sherry, and what fun to see everyone else's. Your painting life is very full. Do you paint every day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry! I don't paint every day but that would be fun I think!

      Delete
  4. Hi Sherry. Just saw this of yours. Not bad at all! It's interesting to see how warm your interpretation is compared to the photo. I particularly like your palm trees and the darks you have along the horizon line there. So jealous that you made the time to go out and paint for the Gurney challenge. I had hoped to do it and just got caught up in the whirlwind. How fun to know others are reading his blog too. It's part of my morning coffee ritual. He's a great painter, and also a wonderful teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephen, thank you so much for commenting. There are always changes we'd like to make, like maybe this is too warm! And it's hard to get the painting to look right on a monitor. James Gurney is amazing for sure!

      Delete