Friday, August 7, 2015

Park Pines

Last month one of the groups I paint with was back at Bailey Canyon Park in Sierra Madre.  I've painted there quite a few times now.  One attraction in the spring is a large clump of  Matilija poppies but they were long finished blooming in July.  My previous paint-out there was last December and I posted my gouache piece in Dog Walkers.  Looking at that painting, I noticed the tall pine tree I included.  In this recent watercolor below, I've also included a tall pine.  Unfortunately, thinking about these trees that I painted reminded me of quite a few dead pine trees we noticed last month at the park.  The drought we are having in California is taking a toll on the pines...sad to see.  The view I chose is from a corner of the park looking across the street to a bright and vigorous bougainvillea.  We're hoping for more rain!

10" x 8" Watercolor



12 comments:

  1. Nice Sherry, love your red bougainvillea, it sings amongst your greens. Hope you get a break in your dry spell soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. The oranges and purples in your shadows are amazing. Everything is painted so well, Sherry. Hoping for rain for all of California - it's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry. Strange weather patterns lately....

      Delete
  3. You've done a great job with the shady bits and the way you've made the bougainvillea stand out so well!
    I hope you get some good falls of rain soon - it is scary when trees start dying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, thank you, hoping for more wet weather.

      Delete
  4. I get a good sense of the time of day. Great values! Great color! It is scary how the drought is affecting everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the warm light with the beautiful cool shadows in the front. Neat and clever to place the person walking the dog in for scale.
    Sorry to hear some of the pines are dying. New Mexico also has a serious problem with lack of water. We hope for more rain...and no fires.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sad about the pines isn't it? I just spent a long time watering my Crepe Myrtle tree yesterday. I've already lost several trees to the drought

    re Pine - excellent. You really caught it's correct color and that sloping things the branches do

    ReplyDelete