Sunday, May 10, 2015

Matilijas!


It's Mother's Day so I think some beautiful Matilija "fried egg" poppies would be appropriate to post!  I've tried to paint these poppies quite a few times.  The plein air painters love Matilija blooming season and we're lucky to have some nice plantings of them nearby.  My latest post about them was More Matilijas! 

These Matilijas were blooming at Eaton Canyon in Pasadena.  It's a large nature center and there are usually several school buses of visiting kids on field trips.  Volunteers guide small groups of children through the nature trails.  While painting, I've overheard lessons on a few subjects like poison oak, lizards, and snakes.  I was painting these poppies near the picnic tables where a guide was sharing a small gopher snake with the kids after they ate lunch.  You can see a couple fellow painters in the distance.  Sometimes artists are interesting for the children to watch too and we have an audience! 

10" x 8" Watercolor




8 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Sherry!! I have some about to bloom in my yard and I always want to paint them, but they never come out as lovely as these - thanks for posting them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joani! I wouldn't think these poppies would grow in your area.

      Delete
  2. So professional! You did a great interpretation, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the energy in your brush work and color. This is a beautiful handling of these flowers. I have some here in Humboldt, you've inspired me to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jody! I know you'll do a great painting of them!

      Delete
  4. that looks like fun with all those kids around - or nerve racking! your poppies came out popping!

    ReplyDelete