Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Frank Eber Workshop!

I was lucky to be able to take a recent workshop from Frank Eber.  I took a class from Frank three years ago which was before I started plein air painting and had little confidence.  I was really hoping another workshop with Frank would come my way.  It finally happened, a three day workshop at the National Watercolor Society headquarters in San Pedro.

The first day, after watching Frank paint, we all tried a coastal scene from one of his photos.  A fun scene, lots of green.  In the afternoon, from Frank's photo, we started a pastoral scene with a barn and cows.  Frank loves to paint cows and he had a big board illustrated with basic cow shapes to share.  The next day we met at the Pt. Fermin Lighthouse.  The morning started out cloudy but cleared up and we could add some sun to our paintings.  We watched Frank paint morning and afternoon demos which turned out so beautifully and were so inpsiring.  The last day we all met at the channel next to Ports O' Call and tried a harbor scene.  There is no shade at that location so lucky for me it was overcast.  My boats and water still need practice.  We all chose our views and Frank painted another wonderful piece.  We went back to the NWS studio and Frank advised us on finishing our pieces.  My barn and cows aren't finished yet.  This workshop was such a wonderful experience, and Frank is so generous with his tips and guidance.  So much fun!   


The view I chose - 10" x 8" Watercolor


Frank Eber

The view I chose - 10" x 8" Watercolor


Frank Eber


After Frank's studio demo

Frank Eber

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful results Sherry, love your boat scene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, spectacular, Sherry, seems like you took a couple of leaps forward - wonderful that you could take a second workshop with Frank!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Frank Webb's work. How lucky that you've been to two of his workshops. Your paintings definitely look inspired, and beautiful, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Frank Eber looks familiar to me. So glad you have the opportunity to study with people you admire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, missed you the past couple Saturdays.

      Delete