Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The 350 Project

Following my last post, "The Virtual Paintout", a couple friends commented about using maps in artwork.  An interesting topic!  Those comments reminded me of two pieces I painted in 2009.  I wanted to participate in the 350 Project at Zinnia, a local store/gallery.  http://www.zinnia.biz
350.org is a widespread climate campaign.  On October 24, 2009 over 2,000 events took place in over 150 countries, one of them at Zinnia in South Pasadena.  Zinnia's goal was to hang 350 pieces of art, each being 350 picas square (about 5").  They gave out the wood squares to artists to do with what they pleased for the show.  The anonymous artworks were all hung in Zinnia's gallery behind curtains and unveiled on October 24 at 3:50 PM.  Each piece was priced at 350 pesos ($26.22), 350 cents going to 350.org.  With so many artists participating, the project generated a lot of excitement and most pieces sold.  What a fun event!

Here are my two pieces which I painted on actual paper map sections.  One is of the Los Angeles area and the other near San Francisco.  I'm also adding a couple photos showing only part of the 350 artworks at the show.  There was something for every taste!





4 comments:

  1. oh this map thing seems to be hitting a chord with a few people! I must get on with my thing with maps! Thanks for posting these, they're great - interesting that you painted them on actual map sections as I was wondering whether that was a possibility with watercolour, using a mixture of collage and then adding colour onto the map sections I use too? Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! As I remember from three years ago...I think I used some acrylic paint too. And I definitely coated the tops with something clear, like Modge Podge. A fun project!

      Delete
  2. Unique idea, Sherry - the bird's eye view! And such a worthwhile project, too. Must have been fun to participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry! It was so much fun to drop into the shop/gallery and see more artwork coming all the time. Many out-of-the-area artists sent pieces.

      Delete