Friday, September 20, 2019

Some Architecture

Two recent paint-outs have been to locations featuring their architecture.  A few weeks ago we painted at Eliot Middle School in Altadena.  The architects, Marston and Maybury are well known for their many structures in the Pasadena area.  I tried a gouache piece of the school, built in 1931.  It's now called the Eliot Arts Magnet Academy and features a colorful mural on one wall.

There was an auction to benefit the school so we plein air painters donated our pieces.  The organizer sent a photo of the pieces set up for the auction., so I'll include that here.

A few weeks earlier we were at a new park which is directly under the famous 1912 Colorado Street Bridge.  I must admit painting the bridge is intimidating at 150 feet high with its curves and arches.  But, there I was right under the bridge so I painted a small watercolor.  A spectacular location!

5" x 7" Gouache



7" x 5" Watercolor




No comments:

Post a Comment