Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Virtual Paintout - Malta!

I always enjoy participating in the Virtual Paintout each month.  For July 2017 the location was Malta, a small island country in the Mediterranean.  Due to its strategic location it has had an interesting history, and a succession of powers including the Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Greeks, Romans, Moors, Normans, Sicilians, Spanish, French, and British...wow.  Malta got independence from the United Kingdom in 1964, and became a republic in 1974.

Malta is a popular tourist destination so I saw cruise ships and yachts in the harbors.  There are also architectural and historic monuments including seven prehistoric temples.  I found the islands to be beautiful and so interesting to virtually look around for my painting views.  I like to try a watercolor, and a gouache piece.      

5" x 7" Gouache


5" x7" Watercolor

4 comments:

  1. Great work - the scenes you selected don't look all that amazing but you have produced very good paintings from them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom, Thanks for your nice comment. I spend quite awhile looking for an inspiring view in the VP location that I can adapt to what I want to paint. :-)

      Delete