Saturday, March 25, 2017

Behind Lizzie's

In December 2015 we painted at Lizzie's Trail Inn in Sierra Madre.  It was drizzling on and off that day but I managed a quick gouache piece, Drizzle at Lizzie's.  We returned to Lizzie's a few weeks ago on a beautiful Saturday.

Lizzie's Trail Inn is behind the 1890's Richardson House which is at the foot of the Mt. Wilson Trail, made in 1894.  This is a very popular and busy neighborhood on a Saturday.  Lots of hikers.  Lots of cars.  I ended up choosing the same tree to paint under as I did on my previous paint-out there.  It's out of the way and I liked my view behind the rustic old buildings.  I tried another small gouache piece.  As the sun moved, the light on the white building kept changing and I was happy I was using the opaque gouache so I could change the shadows a little.

5" x 7" Gouache



The Richardson House with Lizzie's in back.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a good painter, Sherry. I love the way you zoomed into the house and captured the warm light bounce into the shadow. Adding the flowers made my heart happy so I think you improved on the photo 100%!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, thank you so much for your nice comment!

      Delete