Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The Old Mill in January

Last month I returned to the Old Mill in San Marino for a paint-out.  I didn't realize it's been over two years since I last painted there and posted, Fall at the Old Mill.  Also, I haven't visited the property in January before.  The old adobe building from 1816 is surrounded with lovely gardens and fruit trees.   I was surprised to see the the pomegranate trees bare of leaves as well as fruit.  The trees usually shade the patio area so it was striking to see just dark trunks and branches.   I just loved that dramatic view and painted a watercolor from the path outside the line of trees, looking through them.  Fun piece to try!       


8" x 10" Watercolor



4 comments:

  1. Wow, the painting is SO much more beautiful than life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joani. This seemed like kind of a risk to try.

      Delete
  2. A dramatic scene with the bare branches, Sherry, and you really captured it well.

    ReplyDelete