Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Wrigley Gardens

Recent springtime plein air paint-outs were at the Wrigley Mansion in Pasadena.  Since 1958 the Wrigley Mansion has been the official headquarters for the Tournament of Roses which organizes the famous Rose Parade on New Years Day.  It was one of chewing gum magnate William Wrigley's homes, and his wife's favorite since she could watch the parade from her front yard.  They purchased the adjoining property in 1915 to make a 4.5 acre garden which is magnificent today.  

What a great place to paint in the spring.  It wasn't too hot and the roses were gorgeous.  There is a beautiful curving pergola which features the large rose garden on the west side.  It's an official garden for the American Rose Society and has 1,500 roses.  Just beautiful.

Our Saturday group met at the mansion and we all chose to paint on the south side.  It was a beautiful day and I felt OK about my painting.  But the next time I had my painting bag out I noticed I had left my eraser at the mansion.  Well, the following Friday the group painted in the main rose garden area.  I went back to where I was on Saturday and found my eraser!  That day I tried painting the roses and did two pieces, a watercolor and smaller gouache.  I'm finding the gouache to be a lot of fun after it starts coming together.  

10" x 8" watercolor


10"  x 8" watercolor


7" x 5" gouache




10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place to be able to sit or stand!!! and paint.
    And you captured it so well.. Your paintings are excellent .. Makes me want to go and sit in the middle of it all. BJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, Thank you for your nice comments! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. Roses are my favorite flower - I think I would love this place. I love your paintings, Sherry, and I think you tapped into some good karma at this location. Each one is special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, you would definitely love this location! Thanks as always!

      Delete
  3. WOW! You know your watercolor, that's evident by these beautiful paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking my blog and such a nice comment!

      Delete
  4. Just catching up with all the recent blog posts Sherry, I love how you show us the photos of your chosen paint outs and I admire how you capture your scenes and bring the places alive in paint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorraine, I really appreciate your lovely comments! I think it's risky showing the photos so one can see how my perspective is off or whatever, but I love taking the photos so I post them.

      Delete
  5. Love the airy feeling and distant color points in all these. You so are prolific in work and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I really appreciate such a compliment!

      Delete