Sunday, October 27, 2013

Olvera Street!

I've been lucky to be able to paint with two plein air groups recently at Olvera Street.  It's in the oldest part of downtown Los Angeles and naturally part of its history.  The Avila Adobe, 1818, the oldest residence still standing in Los Angeles is there.  During the first half of the 1900s Olvera Street went through some tough times, but has been preserved and restored, designated a state historic monument in 1953.  Olvera Street is really a named alley, not a true street.  It's a tourist attraction today, the historic, old brick buildings lining the very colorful vendor stands filled with Mexican goodies for sale.  

I was excited to see Olvera Street on the paint-out schedules.  What a fun and picturesque walk down the street past all the vendor's offerings, under the old grapevine.  But since it's such a big tourist attraction (complete with tourist buses and school buses) I was a little concerned about painting there.  I don't take up much space with my watercolor gear so I was open to seeing where, and what, I could paint.  The Plaza de Los Angeles is next to Olvera Street and turned out to be the best place to paint.  There are a few of the colorful vendor stands in the plaza area.  On one paint-out I chose to paint a watercolor view to the south, and then the opposite view in gouache the next visit.  Visiting the end of October means lots of festivities for the Day of the Dead Mexican holiday.  On Saturday the plaza had music and dancing for us to enjoy while painting.  One of my most memorable paint-outs!


8 x 10" watercolor


5 x 7" gouache




8 comments:

  1. Great en plein air paintings. You are so lucky to be able to do this and have so many places to paint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Polly! I really do feel lucky with locations and good weather.

      Delete
  2. Your paintings reflect the fun, vibrant place this paint out provided. They provide a very exciting way to see your part of the world Sherry, far better than brochures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Lorraine, I always love your nice comments!

      Delete
  3. Sounds (and looks) like two fun paint-outs, Sherry. Your colors are really alive, as are your brushstrokes. You've really nailed painting the figures, too. Excellently done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry! Fun for sure, and since the JZ workshop I'm more confident with figures.

      Delete
  4. I have enjoyed your lovley colourful paintings!

    ReplyDelete