Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Flying A

Yes, Flying A an old gas station brand, now defunct.  In 1966 Flying A products and gas stations were rebranded to Phillips 66.  But this blog is about watercolors!  

We plein air painters are lucky to have an old Flying A service station preserved along old Route 66 in Monrovia, California.  The three old gas pumps are a reminder of activity many years ago.  I've been at the gas station corner to paint with two groups this summer.  As you see in my photo, there isn't any shade nearby.  On my first paint-out there, I found a spot across the street under a tree to try a small gouache piece.  I was happy to have a flag, and a yellow fire hydrant to move into the view.  The next time our group was there it was starting off to be such a hot day that most painters were leaving about the time I arrived.  I didn't want to paint alone and left too.  I'll try a different view next time we're there.  

In looking on Google Street View for a nearby park in Monrovia I recognized the street this old station is on.  I was shocked to see the gas pumps aren't there now.  The location is used for filming so hopefully the pumps are just moved for safe keeping.  I added a screen shot below...       


5 x 7" gouache





4 comments:

  1. Wish I had half of your ability to find what one might call an ordinary scene but manage to make an attractive painting , which you do every time Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine! I do like those maybe "ordinary" views, so it's great to hear when someone likes them.

      Delete
  2. Sherry, you've been all around the world with the Paintout, and your paintings are always great. This one is no exception. I remember Phillips 66 stations - we don't have any around here any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry! Sometimes us artists can capture bits that aren't there any more. Dean Mitchell pointed out many sites he painted that are now gone.

      Delete