Friday, July 6, 2012

Saturday Paint-Out

The plein air painting group I've recently found met at Arlington Garden in Pasadena, CA last week.  I painted a watercolor there in April with the Thursday group of artists so I was looking forward to finding another view to paint.  It is a beautiful urban public/community garden, home to many endangered California native plants.  It's a place to find serenity right next to busy streets, and is a popular spot for photographers and painters.  It's a great place to see what's blooming at different times of year.  I decided to try painting the small maintenance shed which had some other fun things around it last week.  Here is my painting and photo.  I'll also add my painting of the garden from last April.


I added the figure in this painting to add interest.  I'm better at painting figures now after taking a fantastic workshop from Alvaro Castangnet in April, in Fallbrook CA.  What a treat that was.


My photo reference of my view.


This is the piece I painted in April.  It was my first paint-out after the Castagnet workshop so I added figures sitting at the table.  Both of these pieces are on a 9x12" watercolor block including a narrow border.

8 comments:

  1. You have some lovely paintings showing on here Sherry and a very impressive line of tutors!!! Am green with envy!!! Interesting how you illustrated greetings cards and now you are moving to a looser style, Jean Haines used be a tight botanical artist, so you're in good company!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith! That's right about Jean Haines, I had forgotten that tidbit. :-)

      Delete
  2. Sherry, Welcome to the blog world. I have not done much plein air painting. Both are lovely, I like the figure you added to the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! Lots of "tweaking" as I get into this but I see it's fun already.

      Delete
  3. Welcome to the blogisphere, Sherry! I love the influence your illustration background lends to your paintings and I look forward to seeing more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! I'm looking forward to it as well. Your pieces are just gorgeous. I'm always learning from all artists in all mediums which is so much fun.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sherry - I was looking for a picture of Alvaro Castagnet on Google and found your photo on flickr. Please may I use it for a piece I am writing about the lack of a theory or creation for strategy (in my other life). I love your paintings here and am really quite envious of your workshop with Alvaro C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen, please email me at chuckschmidt@earthlink.net

      Delete