Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Painting at the Monastery

We returned to paint at the Mater Dolorosa Monastery in Sierra Madre, a men's retreat since 1926.  My first paint-out there was six months ago and I painted one of the fountains in gouache, Monastery Fountain.  Soon after we arrived a family of seven deer came through the monastery grounds.  It looked like a daily excursion for them.

The sale of twenty acres of the monastery property has been discussed for several years so we want to keep the spot on the paint-out location list.  It was a beautiful day which usually makes it hard for me to chose a subject to paint.  I had a few areas in mind and ended up sitting under a huge Moreton Bay Fig tree.  There was a nice view of yellow flowers, and a few painting friends who were fun to include.

8" x 10" Watercolor



My set up is dwarfed by the Moreton Bay Fig

I couldn't get the whole deer family of seven in one photo
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment