Sunday, November 17, 2013

November Roses

One of the plein air groups had the Wrigley Mansion on the schedule for this month.  Since 1958 it's been the headquarters for the Tournament of Roses which organizes the famous Rose Parade on New Years Day in Pasadena.  The Wrigley Gardens is an official test garden for the American Rose Society with 1,500 roses.  I painted there in June with two paint-out groups and the roses were gorgeous of course, my three paintings posted in The Wrigley Gardens.  Since it's Southern California I was confident the roses would still be very lovely in November.  

The roses weren't disappointing and were still gorgeous.  Since the garden is a test for some new roses, I noticed a bush of chocolate colored flowers.  Definitely not my favorites but might be nice for a certain color scheme.  I painted one watercolor that went pretty well and added a figure for some interest among all the foliage.

During the morning, a security guard told some of the painters who were out on the sidewalk painting a view of the building that a group would be demonstrating at noon.  Since it's the headquarters for the Rose Parade which features floral floats, the group was protesting some aspects of the Sea World float and wanted it banned from the parade.  An ABC News crew also arrived.  Two of my artist friends were interviewed about the demonstration, but their segment didn't make the 6 o'clock news when the story aired.
    

8 x 10" watercolor


Chuck Kovacic and Lynne Fearman


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine! You could probably paint something special with the brown roses.

      Delete
  2. Just beautiful, Sherry. I love the light in this one especially. Pretty touches with the roses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry, I was afraid of all those leaves and branches getting overdone. Still learning!

      Delete
  3. Really love this one and the touch of red on the figure is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your watercolors are gorgeous, Sherry. They are fluid and yet retain the brushstrokes that are so much fun to take in. It's as though I can see what your hand did while you worked! Thankyou for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment so I can re-visit your work. The addition of the figure, here, is spot on, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie, Thanks so much for checking out my paintings. Love your style!

      Delete
  5. Sherry, it was such a pleasure to receive your comment, thank you so much. Usually I just watch your blog posts in silent admiration and learn a lot. So, thank you and please keep going to feed our creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irina, thank you so much for watching the blog and commenting. It's wonderful to see all the great artwork online.

      Delete