Sunday, December 4, 2016

Gamble House in November

I returned to the landmark Gamble House in Pasadena for a Saturday paint-out recently.  It was quite a few months ago when I last painted a watercolor from behind the garage/book shop, Another View.  On that day I noticed this view from the north side of the house looking south across the driveway and front entrance.  I had it in mind for my next painting there.  The weather forecast was for an overcast and chilly day but in the morning we had some sun.  I wanted to avoid painting much detail in this complicated house while still getting its essence.  I tried a more dry brush approach on rough watercolor paper.  A nice surprise was a newly planted garden behind the garage where I painted from last time.  After a couple hours our fingers were pretty cold.  Maybe some gloves...

8" x 10" Watercolor


Part of the new garden

      

2 comments: