Monday, January 13, 2014

Mount Washington

Our paint-out destination on Saturday was the Self Realization Fellowship Center on top of Mount Washington in Los Angeles.  I painted there in May 2012, one of my earliest paint-outs, and I was looking forward to the beautiful, calming grounds.  But, the Center was closed for a special event!  I'll add my painting from that first paint-out.  It's the view of the homes and rooftops in the valley below the Center.   

With the Center closed, we started looking around since the area is very lovely, lots of trees, and great views.  As we were admiring an unusual and beautiful craftsman home the owner came out, just off to work.  She stopped to chat with us since she is also a painter.  We asked for advice on nearby painting spots.  Then graciously she invited us in to see an oil painting a friend did of a hillside view of the Griffith Observatory.  We noticed some of her paintings and enjoyed seeing more of her artwork and spectacular art studio.  Our new friend left for work and we all chose views of her home to paint. 

Since complicated architecture has its difficulties, I painted a small gouache so I could make some corrections if needed.  Not so easy to do with transparent watercolor.  It was fun sitting in the shade painting with friends.  What a serendipitous morning!    

5 x 7" gouache



Self Realization Fellowship Center gates closed!

Transparent watercolor approx. 8.5 x 11.5"


7 comments:

  1. Your gouache painting is nice Sherry but I really do love your watercolor atmospheric view too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine! Looking up the watercolor for this post, it's different than I remembered.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Sherry, I especially love this one - you've captured such a warm and friendly story here - really chose a great way to crop the painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joani! It was a very unusual morning...never know what's in store.

      Delete
  3. So very pretty, Sherry. Sounds like a great morning, and you got inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry! The interior of the house was so beautiful, I wanted to take photos, but didn't.

      Delete
  4. great efforts, Sherry! Keep it up! I used to live right across from Mt. Washington, in Eagle Rock! Hope you're well..

    ReplyDelete