Friday, December 21, 2012

The First Day of Winter

December 21, the first day of winter, the winter solstice.  It's cold, even here in Southern California.  Since I posted some autumn watercolors for the first day of fall, I wanted to post a favorite winter piece for the winter solstice.

Last December, on the Paint My Photo website the challenge for the month was a relaxing end of the year "non-challenge".  The assignment was to just choose a photo from the thousands on the website and paint something seasonal that could possibly be used for a holiday card if the artist wanted to.  In Southern California we have our seasons but usually no snow in the Los Angeles area in December so I was inspired to try painting some snow.  I looked at many terrific photos on the website of wintery scenes and finally decided on a beautiful shot of two women in the snow feeding ducks and Canada Geese beside a lake.  I painted this before any of the plein air pieces I've been painting recently so to me it has a different look and mood.  The photo is by Roy Simmons and is gorgeous.





4 comments:

  1. The photo is gorgeous, and so is your interpretation, Sherry. I have always loved this painting. It draws me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry! One plein air group here is talking about going to the mountains to try some snow paintings. We'll see!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful interpretation of the photo Sherry. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! You are special to me since you gave me the push to start this blog, so a big Thank You! All the Best to you and your family for a Merry Christmas and great 2013!

      Delete